Sunday, July 6, 2008

Things I Hate...

It pisses me off to no end that my children(6,5,3) know anything at all about people being TOO FAT or SKINNY! The fact that this is something that they hear people talk about is annoying to me. The fact that they ask me if they are TOO FAT or SKINNY is even more obnoxious! I believe that people should be happy and healthy and that is not the same size for everyone and how boring would it be if everyone was the same shape, size and color. To me the greatest thing in the world is the vast differences between people. I think these differences should be embraced and celebrated. I do not believe that people should be judged by how they look, but rather by their actions.

They other day my son asked me why do people call other people names like "Fat" and "ugly" my response to him was that people that do that do so because they are insecure and do not like themselves very much and that putting people down makes them feel better about themselves. I was very pleased when he continued the conversation by telling me that that is why he stopped playing with a boy at school because that boy was calling another child names and Declan told the boy that it wasn't nice and he didn't want to play with someone that would make someone feel badly. It was one of my proudest moments as a parent. First because this name-called was sort-of a leader and Declan walked away anyway. And second, because he really thought it was wrong to call someone names and be mean to them because of the way they look.

I wish my children lived in a world where people were more concerned with the way people act then how they look. I guess that will never change, but I am sure going to do my best to make sure it doesn't happen in my house.

1 comment:

unschoolingsupermom said...

This is precisley why we homeschool. I feel that I have a great relationship with the kids and the influences they would get from others in PS isnt the foundation they should have. On a lighter note. Tori and Kyle are both brutally honest because they feel comfortable in their own opinions. On the fourth, Kyle told my sister she cant go in our pool because she is too fat. What he actually meant was that she cant get over the ladder because she is over the weight limit. Being five it just came out that way. She was upset but I was able to explain it to him.