Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sad, But True...

I just flipped on the tv in the bedroom while I was getting dressed, the View was on, a show I rarely watch, but the story hit me today. During Hot Topics on the show they were talking about a the outrage of a mother(a famous one) that her 19yr old daughter was photographed in a bikini with a headline that said "Can't someone buy her a sarong, for our sake and hers". I saw the picture, and have o tell you that this young lady was very nice looking and I am sorry that she and her family had to see and read that. It did however bring the issue back to the forefront of my mind, "Body Image" is such a powerful thing. As I have mentioned her before, I am not thin and never have been. I do exercise regularly(most of the time) and am very happy with the way I look. I sometimes cut things out or more often cut back on sweets and such, but this is because I don't feel well, not to look a certain way. This issue is something that is very upsetting to me as I have 3 young children and don't want them to get caught up in it, and I know they will, but I hope they will learn from me that people DON'T look the same, but all are perfect!

A few weeks ago, my son told me that some of the kids in his class said I was FAT and he didn't want to tell me because he didn't want to upset me by telling me. I explained to him that I was not upset and that it was okay because people are all different and that's what makes life fun. He liked that answer and went to school and told the kids in school, who also accepted this explanation and moved on. What makes this story sad to me is that it was a kindergarten class and that me being "FAT" was bad or negative instead of just a fact. In our home looks are simply that, not judged in a positive or negative way. People are different and that's good.

I wish people felt better about themselves and were less concerned with how other people "think" they should be.

1 comment:

Days of our Lives said...

you are so right ! and the post below too , i love your honesty , thanx for that !

-denise