Thursday, May 8, 2008

An Explanation

I would like to clear up any misunderstandings that have occurred due to my last post. First, without hesitation I say that the United States of America is the best country in the World! I would not choose to live or raise my kids anywhere else. I am very much a Patriot and a huge supporter of our government. That has nothing to do with why I think the Pledge of Allegiance is creepy to recite in a classroom. My problems lie in that I do not think that we should be pledging allegiance to a material object"the flag", and yes I understand that we are also doing so to the nation for which it stands, but none the less the Pledge is a little weird, but I will save the rest. Next, I think being a Patriot involves way more than Pledging allegiance, for instance, go out and vote. The average turnout for a presidential election is a little less than 60%, and we see this as good. I'd love to get a job where I could only do 60% of my work and still keep the job. Also, I think that people should choose to pledge allegiance. We should want people to want to be Americans and be proud of their Country, and forcing them through school to stand and repeat the Pledge of Allegiance does not make them understand why they should do or want to do it. Just as we do not allow people to vote until they are 18, we should not expect them to be able to pledge their allegiance until then either. When they can understand what or Nation stands for and want to be part of it, then they should pledge their allegiance to it.

I am sure many of you think that I am crazy and do not see why I care about The Pledge one way or the other and all I really the only explanation I can give is that somewhere along the way I have become a nonconformist. I do not think this is always a good quality to have, I have it and like it. I like to ask questions and have an answer before I do things or sign things or say things. It's just me, and I know not everyone likes it:)

No comments: