Friday, February 22, 2008

TOO SPOILED...

I had a bit of a rough day with my babies today. I am feeling just alittle under the weather and we've had lots of nasty gray skies the past few weeks, so I don't feel great. Anyway, my kids, like most I know are spoiled rotten. They have more than I could have ever dreamed of as a kid, and rarely do they ask for something and not get it. Why you ask, I do not have a good explanation, I can only say that we have been fortunate enough to give them what they ask for. However, I now see that this is not working for me or them. They need to be entertained every minute of the day with something talking or moving, with remotes or sensors, and if one of those is not available, well then Mommy can dance on her head or something:)


I would like to find a way, over the next few months to help my children see how good they've got it and how much more they have than others. I would like them to appreciate all they have been given and know that they are not entitled, but fortunate. I am just not sure how to do this with a 6,5&3 year old. I know that Ben and I are not the best role models of restraint as we rarely deny ourselves anything. Maybe that is where it needs to start. Perhaps if Ben and I make a point of getting what we need instead of what we want all the time the will understand better. I have tried this before and Ben always argues that he works hard and should b able to do what he wants when he wants on his free time. How do I move him on board? I guess it would be easier to get him on board if I try harder myself. So, I will try:) We'll see what happens.

2 comments:

Megan said...

For Real.....You didn't get what you wanted as a kid.....STOP LYING TO YOURSELF! Just be happy that you can give them what they want some people aren't as lucky! If you think you are wanting to change them every once in awhile you can try and say NO! Thats my advise don't you LOVE IT :)

Tribe Mama said...

Em, when you find a way to show the kids how great they have it, let me know. I wish they could see what life is really like for most kids, and although we tell them, it is only a story. Maybe as they grow they will see that others are not as lucky.