Monday, June 30, 2008

Others Think I Am, but...

SNOB:

1British : cobbler

2: one who blatantly imitates, fawningly admires, or vulgarly seeks association with those regarded as social superiors

3 a: one who tends to rebuff, avoid, or ignore those regarded as inferior b: one who has an offensive air of superiority in matters of knowledge or taste

I the past few days, several people(including, but not limited to Husband and Becca)have mentioned that I am a SNOB. So, I did a little looking into the definition of the word, and I have to say, I don't think I fit it. One, I am most certainly not a cobbler. Two, I walk away from "those regarded as social superiors". That said I have found myself in situations with "those regarded as social superiors", but I do not have a NEED to be associated with them. And Third, well, I assume this would be the definition they would use for me, but I rarely ignore those I feel are inferior to me(I feel everyone brings something to the table), so that takes care of (a) as for (b), if this is the case, I blame my husband for spoiling me and forcing me to drive nice new cars, travel, stay in upscale hotels and eat in fancy restaurants, and that is were my knowledge comes from. Oh and also so from uppity college professor friends:) I guess what they say is true, the company you keep does reflect on you:)


**as it is often hard to "get" tone in print, this is a joke and meant to offend nobody, other than my Husband and Becca:)

3 comments:

Tribe Mama said...

Hey, I openly admit that I am a snob about a few things including food, locations, education, etc. I only ever said you were a BEACH snob and that you were mean to the Sound since you thought it was inferior. I am glad you gave the Sound a chance and allowed your girls to become friends with it :)

Ree said...

That is a problem when putting your thoughts to words!! It can be 'READ' in so many ways and not 'HOW' you meant it to sound!!
I believe a 'SNOB' is someone who looks down on those they think are beneath them!! Most people can at times be abit 'snobby' without actually BEING a SNOB!!
Just my thoughts :)

A Jersey Girl said...

And I am sure I am "snobby" every-so-often and often not because I mean too:)