Monday, December 1, 2008

I Wonder Why?

Today, while I was sitting at the front desk at the monster's school, Declan's teacher came over and wanted to talk to me. She said, "Can I ask you kind0of a personal question?" I of course said sure, and she went on to tell me that today when she asked that class what holidays they celebrated, Declan raised his hand that he celebrated Hanukkah, is that true? I answered yes(mostly to see her expression:)and then explained that we are Catholic, but that last year Declan took an interest in other religions and holidays and that one of them was Hanukkah. She was a little surprised by this answer and the fact that Husband and I were so open to the kids exploring other religions.


This incident in itself was no big deal, but for husband and I it came on the heals of another one. Last week while we were away, Husband and I were watching the news with Declan and a report about President-elect Obama. Husband and I(who both voted for other people) were explaining to Declan how exciting it was going to be to have a new president. Well, after we were done talking(Declan ot bored and left:) my mother asked us how we could speak so positively about our new president when we didn't vote for him. I explained to her that the election was over and that he is going to be our next president and that needed to be respected. And that no matter my reasons for voting for someone else, the accomplishment of winning the presidency is awesome and the fact that Mr. Obama is the first African-American to do it,is exciting.

So, at dinner tonight, Husband asks why is it that everyone finds it so odd that we are so tolerant. I really have no answer, but to say that I am so happy and thankful that I am married to my husband and that we are raising our children to be tolerant and respectful to all. I hope that they continue to live that way.

9 comments:

Tribe Mama said...

From one tolerant, religion exploring, accepting and moving on family to another...we are happy to have you around!

A Jersey Girl said...

Thanks:)

Megan said...

Tolerant and Respectful to all.....Does that include family as well or just people you dont know that never are lucky enough to speak with you and to sit under your judgement? LOL

A Jersey Girl said...

This does not include people I am related to(or their friends), just random outsiders that mean nothing to me-

Megan said...

Just as I thought Queen, please accept my applogizes for speaking out of line as I know this behavior is not tolerated or respected by you. I just had to be sure that I was on the same page as my great Queen!

A Jersey Girl said...

You are!

Ree said...

We tolerant, religion exploring people have to stick together.

Tribe Mama said...

I think next year we need to add in another holiday. We have Christmas and Chanukah, maybe the solstice, or your favorite KWANZA!

December can just be one big party of all different colors and traditions.

A Jersey Girl said...

Did you not hear Declan teaching Haven all about Kwanzaa at dinner tonight-