Thursday, January 1, 2009

My Favorite People in My Favorite City

Today we decided to take a ride downtown to take in a museum. It is one of the best things about living in the DC metro area, the Smithsonian is there and the fee is FREE! We also wanted to see how preparations were coming for the upcoming inauguration- Here's what we saw and did:


The West Front of The Capitol. The building of the stage and grandstand is well underway! Also along Pennsylvania Avenue(the Parade route) there are stands being erected! They are expecting quite a turn-out and you and tell that they are working hard to get ready!



We had lunch here! Maggie has been walking around for weeks reciting their jingle(we have never been before:) So, husband had a coupon, sorry poocon:)and we gave it a try. It was at the Verizon Center so it was easy to get to and find parking. To food was good and the prices were good, considering it is the city.




Husband and Declan with sign for the Smithsonian, American History Museum




Declan and Killi riding the L inside the Transportation Exhibit




Killi with a horse and carriage(I swear she will find the only animal wherever we are:)




Declan getting hit by a Chicago Bus:)


While at the museum, we also go to see(but were not permitted to take pictures of) a hand written copy of the Gettysburg Address. The exhibit just opened and is only there for a short time so I am glad we got there. The paper was in great condition and to see Abraham Lincoln's signature was very cool.

There was also an exhibit on the Star Spangled Banner, which included the Flag that Flew over Fort McHenry when Francis Scott Key wrote the National Anthem. We did not make it in to see the flag(the line was huge) but we did get to watch a show for the kids about how the GIANT flag was made and why it had the number of stars and stripes it did when that flag was made in 1813. It was a great, interactive show for the kids, I hope they keep that one around for awhile.

In all we had a good trip downtown and when we got home Husband and I took down almost all of the outside lights. Now I am freezing and not feeling great(my latest cold is starting to kick my ass:) But I can say that I am very satisfied with how my first day of 2009 went!

No comments: