Thursday, September 18, 2008

Harder Than I Thought...

Kids are complicated. I came into motherhood with 7 years as a nanny, babysitting since I was 8(yes my aunt was/is crazy:) and a brother who is 7 years younger than me. I also taught Kindergarten and Pre-K for a few years. I thought I was going to be prepared. I had seen it all. Good kids, sneaky kids, mean kids, cute kids, psycho kids, kids with physical disabilities kids with mental disabilities, kids with developmental delays. I have seen it all. But none of it began to prepare me for what being a mother was going to be like. Sure, I loved the kids I was a nanny for(still do) and I enjoyed almost every child I taught, but both the love and anger and the joy and frustration are so much greater with the children I gave birth to. And it is not getting easier as they get older. The problems may be fewer, but they are much more complicated. And it is getting harder to juggle the three of them. And the closeness in age(3.5 years between the 3) that I loved so much when they were NOT in school and different activities has given way to activities that everyone can do(sometimes with a bit of bribery:)

Anyway, that is that. If anyone has a cure for (the most stubborn) 3 year old, that I created(for reasons that at the time seemed justified) who is now controlling my life and ruining her siblings, feel free to share.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Please send her to me we will have a blast! You need nanny 911! Jo will be a great help to you!

Shelly said...

i need a cure for stubborn 3 year olds myself =)