Sunday, June 14, 2009

An Interesting Meeting.

I've waited a few days to share this story because I have been considering whether or not I wanted to publicly discuss this, and I have decided that I do! I rarely hold back here and now is no time to start, especially since I'd love to hear your thoughts.

As anyone that reads this knows, My sweet Killi has not had an easy school year. Learning, in a traditional manner is very difficult for her. She went into kindergarten not knowing her letters or numbers. Her fall "test" scores while passing were very low(and by low I mean 60 points less than her brother's the year before). Anyway, Ben and I spent a good deal of time at the school working with her primary teacher and the support teachers hoping that Killi would "catch-up".

At our mid-year meeting in February, the teachers told us that she was not progressing and had been placed on the retention list and selected for summer school. Ben and I had decided that retention in Kindergarten was not an option for us as she is already one of the older kids in class, but we were open to summer school.

Finally, in April(the 20th, I believe)she received an IEP for speech. That's correct, after "failing" the speech assessment is November, she was finally tested and receiving services at the end of April! Which ended up being a joke because she went to speech a total of 7 times I think. I am not angry about the 7 times since the end of April, I am angry that it took until then to start!

Last Wednesday, I went to my end-of-year meeting for Killi. This is where they wrap everything up and let me know what next year is going to look like. At this meeting do you know what I heard? I heard that my baby is on grade level for everything! That perhaps she will not need or receive support from the PST(small group instruction)like she did this year. Sure, she is not the strongest academically, but she is also not the weakest.

While I was delighted for Killi when I hear this news, I was also angry! Angry that now after she has worked her ass off and we have fought our asses off, they want to drop her! Just leave her hanging. It is like hand-feeding a baby animal from birth and suddenly, with no warning placing them back in the wild!

I'm not sure where to go from here, but I need to go somewhere. Any thoughts/suggestions?

No comments: