Sunday, June 14, 2009

Declan

Let me tell you about my boy, he is smart,sweet,kind,responsible,friendly and gentle, sure he has some bad qualities like he runs-his-mouth, knows EVERYTHING, and is a bit too sensitive:) Lately, it has been difficult to balance the positives and the negatives and some of the positives have been negatives for him.

We have had a few instances where Declan's sweetness has deterred him from standing up for himself. Not that Ben and I advocate fighting, but we do want him to be strong and not be bossed around or hurt by others. Sometimes he just doesn't do that! He allows himself to be bullied or hurt when he should stand-up for himself! For some of this I take the blame as I often tell him not to tattle instead of hearing-him-out and offering solutions to deal with the problem.

I want to make him stronger and wiser! Understanding that it is not okay for people to treat you badly. And when they do, you have the right to defend yourself and not be in that situation any more! I wish I had the answers. I wish that parenting was easier! Thank goodness kids are forgiving and very hard to break:)

No comments: