Sunday, August 2, 2009

Parenting

Growing up, there were a few "lines" my mother used often that I swore I would NEVER use as a mother. Two of my least favorites she used were "Because I said so" and "I don't care what so-and-so does I am not their mother". Upon hearing either of these "lines" my skin would crawl! I wanted to scream every time she used them! I could never understand why she could not just explain WHY instead of I said so or WHY she was always the mean mom and we could not do what so-and-so did. Well, as my children continue to grow, so do I! And I know that "because I said so" is an answer given out of necessity sometimes and not always convince. "Because I said so" sometimes just needs to be used until there is a better time/place for further explanation and not always to ignore the child:) So, I use it, alot and I have made peace with the hypocrite that I am for swearing at 14, I would NEVER use that on my kids:)

Moving onto my second least favorite "line" my mother used,"I don't care what so-and-so does I am not their mother". With this one I just never understood why I was unable to do all the fun things that EVERYBODY else could! This "line" has become one of the most used in my home! Only now I hear it in an entirely different way. When I say this to my children it is often because that behavior in question that so-and-so is partaking in is not behavior that I think is good for my children. Sometimes it is for moral and ethical reasons and others just because. The reason I bring this up is not to show what an incredible hypocrite I am, but to point out that almost NO ONE else I know uses these "lines". And that would be great if the reasons were that these parents always take the time to explain to their children why, so "because I said so" was never needed or that all the kids and parents we know had the same rules, but that is not the case either. Instead I find that I sit at the park or pool all day and discipline my children while most of the other children run wild with little to no oversight! This is driving me mad! And I know it does not matter how others raise their kids only how I raise mine, but sometimes I think it would be nice if some of the rules were the same...No hitting, back-talking, lying, small things is all I am asking for! Who knew I was going to be the only psycho mom that thinks sassy mouths should be punished!

Parenting is not as easy as the getting pregnant thing was;-) And I love it but I would like to say to Sec. Clinton, I do not want the village to raise my children because they are not doing a hot job on their own!

No comments: