Saturday, October 18, 2008

Why My Family and Friend Rock!

As you may know, today was Graduation Day for me, but that didn't happen. What did happen is that I remembered why my family and Becca's Rock.

On Friday night, we loaded up six kids and 5 adults and headed the two and a half hours southeast to Hampton, Virgina. Becca(after sitting in traffic to get home from work) drove me and my girls in the car with her and her kids. Then Husband(who also sat in traffic to get home), my in-laws(who drove down from NJ and sat in the same traffic) and Declan followed a bit later. The ride down was uneventful, the kids were VERY good and quietly watched movies. That gave Bec and I time to chat, which doesn't happen often anymore with everyone so busy.

The Hotel was very nice and new. The kids were happy to get out of the car and were alittle crazy upon arrival, but they calmed quickly. It took about an hour, but we got most of them asleep(Gray figured he score alone time with mom:) The second carload arrived just after the kids went down, so I stuck Declan on the pull-out with his grandparents:) They were happy to have him:) We got up in the morning and all headed down for are wonderful(free)breakfast. Then repacked 6 kids and 5 adults to head-off on what should-have-been our 30min ride to the Scope Arena in Norfolk. That was the end of the goodness.

At about 9:30am we came to a complete stop just before the tunnel. And there we remained for 2 hours. YES, TWO HOURS! I missed graduation sitting in traffic. It was not all bad however. The Kids were unbelievably awesome. No Fighting(well, the babies a bit:) Becca and I played on the computer because it was charged and I had my wi-fi card, we even shopped online in traffic:) After 2 hours and VDOT just showing up, we decided to turn around and come home. So, the kids settled in for another two hours in the car. We decided we would grab lunch closer to home.

What made today better than any graduation day was that all those people were willing to share it with me. And even though they were all out time and money, my husband, Becca and my in-laws(who took us all to lunch:)were only concerned with my missing graduation and how I was feeling about it. That made it a great day!

I will never be able to thank them all for spending my special day with me. And while I am not upset about Graduation, I will remember when I graduate from my Master's Program in Minneapolis, I will stay on the same side of the river as the ceremony:)

1 comment:

Megan said...

Sorry it turned out like that!