Thursday, October 16, 2008

DECLAN!

Today, I got work home of Declan's that had been graded at school. Not all of their work gets graded, so just gets checks, but others get graded. Anyway, he brought home a math sheet and 2 reading/writing activities. The grading scale is 1-4 and goes as follows 1:below standard 2: progressing 3: meets standards 4: exceeds standards. So, Declan's grades were 3/4, 3/2, and a 1. His first writing assignment was very good. He spend time writing and on his picture, he deserved a 3/4, his second was a bood he made about Johnny Appleseed, that he could not have put less effort into. The pictures were sloppy and in pencil on two of the four pages, it was bad, the teacher was generous with the 3/2. Now, the third was appalling! It was a math problem, that I am not sure he ever read. He drew so ridiculous pictures that had NOTHING to do with the problem and he was not even close to the right answer. It was a problem he was able to do, I know this because I asked him the question again tonight and he gave me the right answer, but appeared to have NEVER heard the question before. I wanted to kill him. I can deal with a child that has trouble in school, but not a LAZY, worried-about-getting-done-first kid. So, I explained that to him tonight. I told him that I knew he had not done his BEST work and that It will not happen again, or he will be redoing the assignments at home. He admitted that he was rushing and said he would try harder.

Problem is, he got the worst qualities of both his parents:) I am happy to say that this half-ass school work thing is from his dad:)

No comments: