Tuesday, May 4, 2010

8:15am is too early...

That is when, on our way to school, my son decided to ask me what "gay" meant. Since I believe in letting my children drive their knowledge on most issues, I respond with "What do you mean" in order to better understand his question so that I could give a good answer. So, he repeated "what does gay mean" and I answered that it originally meant merry & happy, but that not it is also used to describe people who like people of the same sex , I thin gave an example of a man that wants to marry another man or a woman that wants to marry another woman, not like mommy and daddy marrying each other. He said, okay and that he understood. He told me that at school some kids call other kids "gay" when they do stupid or mean things and I said that now he knows that the word does not mean stupid or mean. He said yep, then turned to me and said, "So, is that even legal? A man marrying a man or a girl marrying a girl?" I answered some place they can get married some not. He asked about where we lived, I said no. Then he kissed me an walked into school. I wonder how much time he is going to spend on that today:)

I am glad he asked though and now uses the word correctly and helps his friends do so too:) I wonder how many phone calls I will get over this one!LOL!

No comments: